Friday, February 24, 2012

Vegan hot chocolate

What do you prefer with your peanut butter? Jelly or chocolate? Tough decision.  So, this morning, at breakfast, I had both. PB&J Pancakes and Vegan hot chocolate.

Vegan hot chocolate with PB&J pancakes in the background.
At some point, I saw Alton Brown do something like this on Good Eats. I think. It was a vague and foggy memory, but something in my brain suggested, "mix the cocoa with oil so it isn't gross and powdery." I listened. Good choice.

1 t coconut oil (melted)
1 t cocoa powder
1/2 t coconut sugar
1 cup non-dairy milk

Combine melted oil and cocoa powder until smooth. Add sugar. Add milk, heated to the temperature you like to drink and stir vigorously. If you have the ability to shake, or even blend/pulse it in a blender. I'd even suggest that. If you experiment with that method, use fridge temperature milk and heat up the suspension once it is... suspended.  I only stirred mine so you can see the teeny tiny chocolate particles. I don't have issues with food textures, so it didn't bother me.  If you have a texture issue, I'd recommend an OT evaluation using the shake/blend/pulse method. Though I should have used my immersion blender.

No comments:

Post a Comment