Friday, February 3, 2012

Cinnamon Cookie Batter Pancakes

I love pancakes. The Tuna has this weird notion that pancakes are only good for a few bites. I, however, am capable of embarassing myself at the all-you-can-eat pancake special by eating more than a primate. Well, that, my dear reader, was before my cleanse! Since, my cleanse, I haven't been eating dairy, eggs or gluten. All things found in pancakes. Sigh. But wait, this forces me to be creative. And what have I discovered? Pancakes that taste like cookie/brownie.insert-other-baked-good-here BATTER! What's the secret? Beans! Here's how to make your own Cinnamon Cookie Batter Pancakes with Maple Almond topping.

Ingredients:
1 T coconut oil (or other oil) for the pan
1/2 cup beans. Recommend black or great northern/cannellini
1/2 cup non-dairy milk
1 flax egg (1 T ground flax +2 T boiling water. Let it sit 2-3 minutes)
1/4 t vanilla
1 T coconut sugar (or any sweetener you have)
2 T almond meal
3 T buckwheat flour
1 T buckwheat groats, or something else crunchy (flaked coconut, almonds)
1 T baking powder
1 T cinnamon

2 T almond butter
1 T non-dairy milk
1 t maple syrup

First, make your flax egg and set it aside. Put your pan or griddle on medium heat with the 1 T oil. Then combine your beans and milk. I recommend doing this in a food processor or blender. Or you could mash the beans to smithereens first, then add the milk. Transfer to a mixing bowl, if you're not already there. Add vanilla, sugar and flax egg and combine by hand. With a spoon. Add almond meal, flour, groats, baking powder and cinnamon and combine by hand until smooth. Pour onto hot pan/griddle by the 1/2 cup. Cook each side 2-3 minutes.

While your cakes are filling the air with the aroma of a Cinna-bun stand, combine almond butter, milk and syrup in a small microwave safe bowl to make the maple almond topping. Microwave 10 seconds. Stir. Microwave 10 seconds. Stir again. If needed, microwave 10 more seconds and stir again.

Plate your cakes and drizzle with maple almond topping. Add a banana if you want to be like me.



My plate about 3 minutes later:



Gluten free eating has also resulted in an obsession with buckwheat. But more on that another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment