Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Vegan, Grain-Free and Nut-free Chocolate Brownies with Mint Topping

Next week is Golden Gopher's birthday (henceforth referred to as GG or Geej). But today was the last day we would both be at work before her birthday. So we celebrated today. Geej loves the chocolate mint brownie from Sugar Daddy's, so I have started a tradition of chocolate mint creations when celebrating with her.

Now, creating treats for co-workers has become a challenge. Moreover since my cleanse, but even before. You see, Tiny Dancer is allergic to ALL nuts and eggs. Meanwhile, Crunchie Bar and I are still holding strong with gluten-free and dairy-free eating.  The challenge was to make a delicious, chocolate-mint creation that was (deep breath) gluten free, dairy free, egg free, nut free and free of all products processed in a facility with nuts. Oh, and it meant I couldn't use my food processor or blender, which have weekly, if not daily, contamination with nuts or nut products.

Challenge accepted.

I scoured the net. I really wanted something without tofu since I didn't think I could get it creamy enough without electricity. I couldn't find something that didn't have nuts as a substitute for grains. Or eggs as a substitute for flour. Or dairy in the frosting. I was also afraid black or garbanzo beans wouldn't mash up without a blade.

So, I decided to try an original creation. Chocolate brownies with white beans with avocado mint chocolate chip frosting and a chocolate shell. The result? Complete indulgence.


I wanted to use a sugar with a lower glycemic index. I ended up using white sugar out of necessity when I noticed my date sugar had a nut warning on the label as I was filling the measuring cup. Phew!

Here is what you need:
6 T pumpkin
3/4 cup white beans soaked and cooked
6 T melted coconut oil
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup cocoa (Hershey's, to be nut-contaminant free)
1" of a vanilla bean, scraped or 1 tsp vanilla extract

2 avocados
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp mint extract
1/4 cup + an extra 1 cup "Enjoy Life" chocolate chips

In a ziplock bag (or in your food processor if nut contamination is not a concern) mash beans and pumpkin. I did this with a rolling pin and then with me hands. Pour into a bowl. Add melted oil, baking powder, sugar, vanilla and cocoa and stir until combined. Spread into greased 9x9 baking pan or muffin tins. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes (baking pan) or 15 minutes (muffin pan). Cool completely.

In the meantime, peel and mash the avocados in a bowl. I used my hand mixer. The beaters had been removed and cleaned compulsively. Gradually add 2 cups of powdered sugar while beating. Stir in extract and chips. When brownies are cool, spread with mint frosting. If you are worried about the frosting browning, don't be! It doesn't! But if you are, add 1 T cocoa and it will be brown from the start.

Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl 3 x 15 seconds, stirring between intervals. Spread on top of mint frosting.  I think the extract prevented the avocado from browning.


The frosting is a bit more like a mousse because it is rather runny I read something about adding melted coconut oil to solidify the texture but I forgot to add it to this batch.

Everyone LOVED these. Well, Crunchie Bar, Tiny Dancer and I did. Geej thought the flavor was good but wasn't sure about the texture. Two out of three ain't too bad. My other two Wednesday co-workers were out sick today (not at all related to brownies) so they didn't get the change to weigh in. We will see what the Tuna has to say!

Brownie pan at the end of the day. Looks like success.
Variations of this recipe are definitely in my future!

In other news, I am contemplating calling Tiny Dancers and Crunchie Bar Juniors' allergist for some testing. Details to come, as available.



No comments:

Post a Comment