Monday, January 23, 2012

Monday Pick-Me-Up

Oh Mondays... I, unlike Tayler, loathe Mondays. It is an aversion that dates back to middle school. I guess I just like my weekends.

Well, I decided that this Monday, I really needed a pick-me-up. I was cleared to run 15 minutes this weekend (more on that whole scenario later). It was great. I've never been so happy to run 1.55 miles in my life. Well, maybe, but I have been known to exaggerate the truth for dramatic effect. Not so happy when my foot started hurting that night, which continued into today. Boo and hiss.

Things started to look up when I got to leave work 40 minutes early, beat the Tuna home, and decided, on a whim, that I deserved a treat. I'm keeping the cleanse going, with the addition of meat. But honestly, a sweet treat didn't even cross my mind. I opened the crisper, green beans staring me in the face, and thought, "green bean fries." How have I not done this before?


Recipe:
1/2 bag of trimmed green beans
1/2 cup gluten free AP flour
1 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp green seasoning
1/2 cup almond milk
1/4 cup oil of choice. I used canola.

Heat oil in a skillet on medium-high. Mix flour and spices in a bowl. Pour almond milk in another bowl. Blanch green beans 4 minutes in boiling water. Drain and immediately dunk in an ice water bath and swirl. Dunk the green beans in the almond milk. You can probably even skip the milk since the green beans are already wet, but this is how I did it. Dunk into flour mixture to coat. Place into hot oil for about 2 minutes per side. Remove with a slotted spoon. Place on plate covered in paper towel. Try not to eat them all before your dinner companion notices.

These fried delights plus my co-worker bringing me 6 DVD's of p90x to try, may have just saved the day. And best of all tomorrow will be Tuesday! It's not a particularly special Tuesday. But, it's not Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment