Friday, January 20, 2012

Grain-free coconut oatmeal

Coconut oatmeal. My first encounter with this concept was in Chicago, IL during the Chicago Marathon Weekend. The Tuna (my husband, henceforth referred to as Tuna or the Tuna) and I were on the quest for breakfast on Saturday, the day before the race. We wondered into e. leaven. The first thing I saw on the menu board was coconut oatmeal. I wanted, with every fiber of my being, to try it! But, rule #1 of pre-race meals. Nothing new. So, on the day before what felt like the biggest race of my life, OTQ attempt #1, I stuck with french toast. The last thing I needed was GI distress in addition to leaden legs.

It's more than three months later, and I cannot get the coconut oatmeal concept out of my head! Week 1 of my cleanse in the dead of winter left me wanting something warm for a weekend breakfast. I had the house to myself since the gym doesn't open until 10 on Sundays and the Tuna was out enjoying his run. Coconut oatmeal. Two methods, one result. Crave this.

Method 1- Risotto Style Weekender, Stove Top Version

Ingredients:
3/4 c. coconut- shredded or use the flaked stuff and grind it up in the food processors, almonds, flax seeds, chia seeds. Make it add up to 3/4 of a cup, but coconut should be the star.
2 TBSP pumpkin- because it doesn't get much better than vegetables in your breakfast
1 1/2 cups almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
2-3 tsp date sugar or other sweetener as needed.
1/2 chopped apple
Cinnamon to taste. I recommend 1 tsp, but I love cinnamon.

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine ground/shredded nuts and seeds, pumpkin, and 3/4 cup milk. Stir often until liquid is absorbed. Add another 2 TBSP of milk, stir until absorbed. Add another 2 TBSP, stir until absorbed. I know you're thinking, "yaaaaaaawn." But truly, I watched the "oatmeal" thicken, soften and multiply before my eyes. You should continue to add milk until you are 1) satisfied with the texture (hard vs. soft) or 2) out of milk. Add in the sweetener, apple and cinnamon and stir until combined.

This makes 2 servings for a cleansing, cross training gal. Or probably 1 serving with other snacks after a Sunday long run.

My first attempt at coconut oatmeal was so insanely addicting, I had to come up with a quicker method for the weekday morning.

Method 2- Break the Fast FAST, Microwave Version

Ingredients:

3/4 c. coconut- shredded or use the flaked stuff and grind it up in the food processors, almonds, flax seeds, chia seeds. Make it add up to 3/4 of a cup, but coconut should be the star.
2 TBSP pumpkin- because it doesn't get much better than vegetables in your breakfast
1 cups almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
2-3 tsp date sugar or other sweetener as needed.
1/2 chopped apple
Cinnamon to taste. I recommend 1 tsp, but I love cinnamon.


The night before:
Combine all ingredients in a small microwaveable bowl with lid.

In the foggy eyed AM:
Place bowl in microwave for 2 minutes. Stir. Microwave one more minute.

The results are the same. Happy, delicious, filling, healthy meal.


AND the bowl cleans up so much easier than oatmeal made of pssssh, oats.






No comments:

Post a Comment