Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Comeback Trail Detours in Boston

Happy Earth Day! In the worlds of running and cooking, we have so much catching up to do!

This town loves the marathon.
In the past 2 weeks, I've been able to run 2-3 miles about every other day. My foot has been cooperative, for the most part.

We traveled to Boston for the marathon. It was dreadfully hot on race day. I ran the first three miles of the race and then ducked off the course and onto the commuter train in Ashland, MA, with a few other spectators and heat causalities.

My registration fee into the race was not a complete waste, as it did allow me to go to the start at Hopkinton, start the race with Tuna, and make my way into runner-only territory at the finish. I was inspired by Big Spoon's efforts at Chicago.

Race number was very useful for my duties as #1 fan/groupie for Tuna. 
In Boston, we did the tourist thing which resulted in a lot of standing and walking. This flared up my foot for 2-3 days but by Thursday, it was back to pain-free. Some of our adventures are pictured below.
Game at Fenway.
Sam Adams Brewery.
I must confess, there is a voice in the back of my head that regularly nags "will I be able to train the way I used to again?"  But for now, I just ignore it and take one step at a time (literally)

I made a few delicious treats for a sushi making lesson with our DFAS friends and Chef Becky Nation. (Leave a comment with your email address if you want info on cooking lessons with Becky). They were all inspired recipes, rather than originals, but I will post the links with my modifications below.

Sushi night was incredible. We made sushi/maki rolls, pot-stickers and Pad Thai. Never a dull moment when we get together with the DFAS crew.
Remaining ingredients and Sonya rolling (back )
Finished maki roll! Sliced and ready to enjoy.

Fill the dumpling.
Fold and crimp.
Pot stickers.ready to eat!
Toss that Pad Thai! YUM!

Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Dip (from Chockohlawtay)

The only change I made was adding a lot lot LOT more almond milk. Maybe this is because I cooked my own beans and they were not as soft. Or maybe my oats were thirsty. Either way, I added about 1/3 cup more almond milk than what was recommended. I also chose to swirl the peanut butter in at the end, just for fun. Next time, I might half the oats. Or leave them out all together. Because grain free is great. We dipped chocolate bears, animal crackers, gluten free bunnies, and pineapple into the delicious dip.

Cookie dough dip. Un-eaten eggs from Pad Thai in the background. Oops.


Everyone loved this dip! Even the guys (not pictured).


Next up was a lemon-blueberry pie. I used inspiration from The Crosby Kitchen and Gluten Free Fix which are both blogs that are new to me. I love the world of vegan/gluten free blogging. Always new things to discover!

I made a mock graham crust from Gluten Free Fix. I used coconut oil in place of butter. Amazing. I may never, no... I will never, make graham cracker crumb crust again. Why go to all the trouble of grinding up grahams when almond meal is already ground! Plus it makes a grain-free, gum-free, processed-free crust. I am in love.

I followed Crosby's vegan lemon tart filling recipe almost exactly, except I used 2 1/2 TBSP cornstarch instead of using ANY flour (for gluten free). When the pie came out of the oven, it was a bit too brown and I feared it would scare my non-vegan friends. So, rather than placing blueberries on top, I simmered some fresh blueberries with 1 TBSP coconut sugar and the juice of half a lemon to make a glaze. To cover the brownish-yellow. It worked beautifully. Everyone loved it and no one cared it was vegan, even after I told them.

And finally, I wanted to celebrate a BIG milestone with one of my Monday kids, but I wanted a somewhat healthy treat. So I made some gluten free, vegan, mini strawberry tarts. I used inspiration from Gluten Free Fix, again. I left out the whipped cream. The only other change I made was omitting the gelatin. I had planned to use agar agar, but I couldn't find it. So I decided just to omit, given how beautifully gelatinous my blueberry glaze turned out (above) without either gelatin or agar agar. Not sure how well they will stick together, but they sure look pretty!



Alas, a wonderful weekend of baking. Apologies if the links are frustrating. I just don't feel right about posting another blogger's recipes with such minor modifications. But, now you have three awesome new blogs to check out! You're welcome. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment