Thursday, May 31, 2012

Marinated Tempeh with Asian Slaw

I sort of hate Tempeh until I accidentally had the most wonderful Jerk Tempeh at Mellow Mushroom. I ordered Jerk Tofu, they gave me Jerk Tempeh. I spent most of the meal trying to figure out if it was tofu or tempeh. Long story short, I'm a tempeh convert. And I immediately bought 2-3 varieties of the fermented soy product for spontaneous dinner occassions.

Thursdays have become OYO (on-your-own, as abbreviated on our refrigerator calendar) dinner night. Sometimes I call in Thai Grille. Other times, I am too lazy to get back in my car to pick something up, so I through together something quick, easy and scrum-diddly-umptious.



Marinated Tempeh
1T mirin
1T soy sauce
1T miso
1T rice wine vinegar
1T sesame oil
1 clove garlic, grated
1 T ginger, fresh, grated
3x4 in block tempeh, cubed

Marinate while you shower, post-run. Or about 15-30 minutes. Then cook on a dry skillet (or with coconut oil if you prefer/need some serious "energy in") on medium high for 3-5 minutes, flipping once to get a beautiful crisp.

Asian Slaw
1/2 head cabbage, thinly sliced
1 large carrot, ribboned with vegetable peeler
1 bell pepper, diced
1/2 T sesame oil
1/2 T miso
1/2 T soy sauce
2T grated ginger
1T rice wine vinegar
1T mirin
1 squirt sriacha

Put cabbage, carrot and pepper in a container with a lid. In a small bowl, mix together sesame oil through sriacha. Pour over cabbage, place lid tightly and shake it up. Then, hit the shower or just let it rest while the tempeh cooks.



Try this. You will love it. And it will take less than 30 minutes from the first chop to your plate. Including the shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment