Friday, March 9, 2012

Thai coconut cashew scones with peanut butter glaze

It's Friday! I'm still trying to kick the respiratory virus that has been hanging on the past few days. So naturally, my first thought upon waking is, "I need sinus meds." I venture to the fridge to find something to eat before I take said meds. Ponder. Ponder. Lentils? I could make pancakes with lentils. Tuna's left over curry from Thai Grille? I would be very cranky if someone ate my leftover curry. As if I'd ever have left over curry. My mind drifts to the previous days' of mindlessly zoning in and out with Food Network on the television. Ina Garten making maple scones. Scones. Bingo!

Now, I have never made scones. I have certainly never made vegan, gluten free scones. But I was feeling inspired by the Thai flavor palate. Here is how it went down:

Scone ingredients
1/2 cup coarse oat flour
1/2 cup cooked mashed lentils
1 T coconut sugar
2 T coconut
1 T cashew or other nut butter
1 flax egg
2 T non dairy milk
1/2 T baking powder
1 T grated fresh ginger or 1/2 T dried ginger
2 T coconut oil- COLD and cut into people sized pieces

Glaze ingredients
1 T coconut butter
1/2 T peanut butter
melted together with 1 pinch of cinnamon


First thing is first. Put some coconut oil in a freezer safe bowl and pop it in the freezer. Then make your flax egg (1 T flax seed + 2 T boiling water, stir and set aside).

As I mentioned before, my food processor is behaving poorly. I think I've dulled the blades with frequent pulverizing of Medjool Dates. So I blended everything together with my immersion blender in a big cup. First, I ground the oat flour. I recommend putting a towel over your cup whenever blending anything dry with small particles. This is a lesson I have yet to learn on the first attempt, so I usually end up with grain particles all over my kitchen until I remember my own trick. Add in all other ingredients, except for the COLD coconut oil.

I have vague memories of both my mom and Ina Garten telling me how important cold butter is when making pastries and scones. It is important for the butter to be cold so it can POP when in cooks and leave air pockets which result in flaky, delicious baked goods. I wanted to see if the same would be true with coconut oil, which, like butter is solid when cold but become liquid when heated. Suspense...

Now, If you're a scone fanatic, you put your scone dough in the fridge to chill to maximize the fluffiness factor created by cold butter POPPING. If you're hungry and impatient, you don't. So I didn't.

Once your scone dough is combined, remove the coconut oil from the freezer. Use a butter knife to cut the oil into pebble sized pieces.

Pebble sized pieces of coconut oil
Stir the pieces into the dough. Then use a cookie scoop or large spoon to place scones onto a greased cookie sheet. Try not to touch the dough because it will get warm and the butter won't POP. Bake at 375 degrees Farenhiet for 15 minutes.
Scooped out and ready to bake! Look at the gorgeous texture!
Once the scones are done baking, drizzle them with peanut butter glaze. Engage scones in a quick photo shoot before you dive in.


I know what you are thinking. Did she eat three scones? No. No I didn't. I ate two. At first. And then I ate one more. So, yes. I ate three scores. You would have too! These scones are delicious! And flaky!  I think the coconut oil had the same effect as butter. And I didn't even have to substitute 1:1 for the massive amount of butter usually in scones (usually, 8 T  or 1 stick!)The coconut and oat flour add some texture. The Thai flavors come together beautifully and the lentils keep the scones moist! They honestly don't even need a glaze. If I hadn't already named this post, I might not have glazed them at all! All this and they are gluten free, vegan and have almost no sugar! It's a win-win win-win-win!

No comments:

Post a Comment